WordPress is a free and open source blogging platform or CMS (content management system) based on PHP and MySQL and has many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system; ideal for website design.
Since its introduction in the early 2000’s WordPress has gone from strength to strength. There are 2 versions of WordPress available WordPress.com and WordPress.org, WordPress.com has more limitations than the .org option; www.chccs.co.uk has been created using WordPress.org.
WordPress.org can be combined with other platforms and is extremely powerful and versatile, its appeal lies in both its power and simplicity. The master control panel is the dashboard it is here where you can configure your site, including your theme, plugins and pages and create a bespoke, tailored design.
In 2013 WordPress was reported as being downloaded 15,029,178 times (www.webdesignermag.com)
In November 2015 WordPress was reported as powering 25%, with 1 in 4 websites being powered by WordPress; a 1/4 of the web.
The benefits of using WordPress to develop a website are:
- Ease of Use – WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is a breeze and can be done quickly.
- Manage Your Website from Any Computer -WordPress is browser-based. You can login from any Internet connected computer and manage your site.
- No HTML Editing or FTP Software Required – WordPress is a self-contained system and does not require HTML editing software. You can create a new page or blog post, upload images (and edit them), upload documents, video files, image galleries, etc. all without the need for additional HTML or FTP software.
- Search Engines – The code behind WordPress is very clean and simple, making it easy for search engines to read and index a site’s content. In addition, each page, post, and image can have its own meta tag keywords, description, and title, and can be optimized for specific keywords, allowing for very precise search engine optimization. You can also use tags to further enhance your search engine optimization efforts.
- You Have Control of Your Site – No more waiting for your web designer to make simple updates to your site. With WordPress, you have control of nearly every aspect of your site and can easily make those simple updates yourself.
- The Design of Your Website is 100% Customisable – WordPress acts as the engine for your website. The look and feel of the site can be 100% customized so your brand can shine through on your site and provide a unique experience to your visitors.
- Extend the Functionality of Your Site with Plugins – WordPress makes it possible to customise your site with plugins, most of which are free.
- Your Site Can Grow as Your Business Grows – WordPress sites are very scalable. You can have hundreds of thousands of pages or blog posts on your site and the performance of the site will not be compromised in the least.
- Have Multiple Users – As an administrator of a WordPress site, you can set-up multiple users for the website and assign access levels and capabilities to each user.