After looking at why apps fail I focused on and created this SWOT analysis for the project to help me identify a USP or Unique Selling Point. By breaking down what the project and app is looking to achieve provides a visual list of the strengths and weaknesses as well as external potential threats and opportunities. It will create a good visual grounding for the project whilst in the discovery phase and before the design stage.
What advantages will the app have?
- Accurate stock levels and data
- Fast response times
- Connection with local retailers and their products so product can be purchased quicker or more conveniently
- Making it quicker for users to purchase
- Give small and medium sized retailers a web presence possibly introducing them to technology – bring retailers more sales
What factors could cause you to not gain new users, or to lose users once they have used your app once?
- Unengaging app design
- Difficult app funtionality
- Bad initial experience when using the app
- Incorrect information related to retailer and stock levels
What needs to be focused on to gain a competitive edge?
- Creation of a brand experience to create a bond and relationship with user
- Good response times – efficient useful tool
- Accurate data – stock and retailer
- Need to gain a large number of retailers on the app to be able to offer the app as a useful tool
What potential avenues can take your product down in the future?
- Greater connection between an individual retailer and the user in and out of store experience
- Loyalty schemes
- Virtual reality and Augmented reality
- Embrace new and emerging technologies and changing technologies – design and platforms should be effective, efficient and not dated
- Make social – “I saw this (product) and thought of you“. Social engagement and retail is forecast to grow – “Social engagement is increasing when it comes to sharing retail experiences” says Wang. “And with more platforms for social sharing. Consumers are beginning to look at sharing as a key part of the shopping experience.” Source tech.co
What further businesses could your product collaborate with in the future to increase reach?
- Incorporate other suggested products and online retailers if items not available locally
- Large promotional events when have a number of retailers on board to promote the benefits to gain more of the app to users and further potential retailers
What could undermine the success of the app?
- Larger and high street stores already have an internet presence so users often look to these sites first.
- Larger and high street stores may already have the trust of users – users know them. This is a new app and has to offer an improved more efficient service and prove trustworthy and reliable.
- The retailers themselves have to offer good service when users connect with them or may give a negative impression of the app itself and the service offered.