I researched the various ways of developing and app and the cost involved:
Freelance Developer Hire:
- Price per hour £30+
- Can be found either by word of mouth or on Freelance related websites
- Look for creditable references and past work history
- Maybe preferred option if limited budget
Agency Developer Hire
- Costs can vary depending on expertise and the actual agency. Can be from £100,000 – £350,000
- More likely to be project orientated and therefore highly deliverable and time-orientated.
- Project managed
- Risk possibly less than hiring an individual freelance developer
- Well established effective user testing included
OutSystems – Developer Platforms
- Costs can vary from £30,000 to £400,000 depeneding on size of the app and integration.
- Good option if large databases or data need sto be integrated into the app.
- Outsystems is a low code option
- Free version available allowing you to create one app. This way you are able to create a prototype or beta version of your app before any large scale development begins.
- Large budget may be needed.
Payment for the development of an app is similar to a website and payments can be divided as below:
- 25% Initial Deposit
- 25% Approval Graphics/Wireframes/Prototype
- 25% Approval Beta Version
- 25% Approval & release Apple Store