I have chosen to use the plugin Yoast SEO, although it will not take care of all the SEO related to the new site I will still have to be aware of the size of images used on the site and load times etc, however by adding this plugin it will allow me to optimise the site and improve rankings.
Benefits of using Yoast SEO
- Puts Meta information into the core code
- Enables pretty permalinks
- Adds breadcrumbs in case you theme is compatible
- Facilitates you to control indexing of archives and categories
- Facilitates you to import from other SEO plugins
- Easily performs 301 redirects
- Comes along with Twitter Card implementation and Facebook OpenGraph Implementation
- Offers an easy method to edit your robots.txt file and .htaccess file
- Creates XML sitemaps
- There is a lot of support to help you setup the plugin
- It is free
It is always good to check when deciding to use a plugin how regularly it is updated and how many installs of it there are, how many people are using it. The below screenshot shows that this plugin has been updated in the last 5 days so showing it is has been recently maintained and updated and still supported. There are 1+ million active installs indicating that it is widely used suggesting it can be trusted.
This is a link to the plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/